Monday, April 16, 2012
This weekend I finished making a corset that I started a week or so ago. Okay, two weeks. It’s not a difficult project it’s just that other things got in the way.
I used a Simplicity Halloween costume pattern for this corset which also came with a tutu pattern, but I haven’t made the tutu as of yet. I could have draped the design using my form and muslin, then made the paper pattern, but I figured why reinvent the wheel.
There are about six pieces to the pattern, and they are relatively small which make it easy to cut out on a medium sized ironing board or counter top. This was an easy project for the most part, but the challenge came when it’s was time to do some of the finishing work mainly the eyelets.
The pictures are of my first attempt at this design. The second attempt turned out the same except that I used a better eyelet tool instead of the cheap Dritz eyelet tool I had on-hand when I made the first version. Eventually I ended up with a big hole in the last eyelet I applied (isn’t that how it always happens).
On Amazon I found an awesome well made eyelet tool that came with tons of eyelets, and when I bought a grommet tool together I got a great deal. Check it out!
Amazon - Heavy-Duty 3/16" Eyelet Grommet Pliers Set with 400 Eyelets - Easy to Use
My second attempt at this design took about four hours from cutting to finishing. I am pretty happy with the results. The tutu will really make this corset look awesome.
Instead of using the placement guide in the pattern directions I place boning in all of the side seams and half way up the base of the seams in front. I used basic plastic boning because the material is semi stretchy and this isn’t an authentic corset with regard to stiff support, but more so medium support. I wanted support more so for the shape of the garment oppose to support for body parts.
Instead of using black bias tape to finish the bottom as suggested in the pattern, I used the same material cut on the bias. The second version does not have the black cording embellish.
I found some awesome Art Minds Shea butter and goats milk soap on sale at Michael's the other day. I colored some bars violet and sc...
I whipped this one out in about a week working on it every evening. It started off as a hat, but then I thought it would make an awesome bag...
This was a fun project. I was dying a bag, and I thought I would tie a white t shirt and th...
Here are some pictures I took this weekend while I was riding around on my scooter. It was a very nice, sunny weekend. ...
I made this shirt a few weeks ago from a Kwik sew pattern. I almost forgot about this fabric, and I think it's pretty bright. I usually...
Currently I am lucky enough to work part-time which allows me to enjoy four day weekends. Of course I spend them doing as much as I possibl...
Spending the day tooling around the city on my scooter when I came upon Leach Gardens. It was an awesome day, and the weather couldn't ...
Here is another wool sweater I recently finished. I used the same pattern as with the gray sweater, but I chose a size small this time aroun...
This place is interesting in that it's a funeral home, cemetery, and a park. I am not sure what that means, but it's a wonderful pla...
Just had breakfast gearing up for a long day on my scooter and the beach!!! Lanikai here I come.
I couldn't resist this opportunity to snap this.